In producing its own tablet computer called Surface, Microsoft Corp. is entering a market dominated by Apple Inc. Six out of every 10 tablets shipped are iPads, according to research firm IHS iSuppli.
Here are the top five manufacturers of tablets in the year 2011:
(1) Apple Inc. , maker of the iPad, 40.5 million shipped worldwide, 62 percent share
(2) Samsung Electronics Co. , maker of Galaxy line, 6.1 million, 9 percent.
(3) Amazon.com Inc. , maker of Kindle Fire, 3.9 million, 6 percent
(4) Barnes & Noble , maker of Nook products, 3.3 million, 5 percent
(5) AsusTek Computer Inc. , maker of Transformer line, 2.1 million, 3 percent
Other, 9.4 million, 14 percent