The pages maintained by the Google Help Center have text describing more than 15 various search options. The Google operators:
- OR – Search for either one, such as “price high OR low” searches for “price” with “high” or “low”.
- “-” – Search while excluding a word, such as “apple -tree” searches where word “tree” is not used.
- “*” – Wildcard operator to match any words between other specific words.
Some of the query options are as follows:
- define: – The query prefix “define:” will provide a definition of the words listed after it.
- stocks: – After “stocks:” the query terms are treated as stock ticker symbols for lookup.
- site: – Restrict the results to those websites in the given domain, such as, site:www.acmeacme.com. The option “site:com” will search all domain URLs named with “.com” (no space after “site:”).
- allintitle: – Only the page titles are searched (not the remaining text on each webpage).
- intitle: – Prefix to search in a webpage title, such as “intitle:google search” will list pages with word “google” in title, and word “search” anywhere (no space after “intitle:”).
- allinurl: – Only the page URL address lines are searched (not the text inside each webpage).
- inurl: – Prefix for each word to be found in the URL; others words are matched anywhere, such as “inurl:acme search” matches “acme” in a URL, but matches “search” anywhere (no space after “inurl:”).
The page-display options (or query types) are:
- cache: – Highlights the search-words within the cached document, such as “cache:www.google.com xxx” shows cached content with word “xxx” highlighted.
- link: – The prefix “link:” will list web pages that have links to the specified web page, such as “link:www.google.com” lists web pages linking to the Google homepage.
- related: – The prefix “related:” will list web pages that are “similar” to a specified web page.
- info: – The prefix “info:” will display some background information about one specified web page, such as, info:www.google.com. Typically, the info is the first text (160 bytes, about 23 words) contained in the page, displayed in the style of a results entry (for just the 1 page as matching the search).
- filetype: – results will only show files of the desired type (ex filetype:pdf will return pdf files)