BitComet is a cross-protocol BitTorrent, HTTP and FTP client written in C++ for Microsoft Windows and available in 52 different languages.
The BitComet program is a multi-threaded multi-protocol hybrid download manager and BitTorrent Peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing application. It supports simultaneous download tasks. To complete a particular download, it can draw parts of files from many sources across different P2P and client–server protocols.
(1) BitComet’s chief features include an embedded Internet Explorer window to let users search for torrents.
(2) It supports UPnPgateway configuration, bandwidth scheduling, Webseeding, selecting only certain files for download inside a torrent package, Peer Exchange, Initial-Seeding (Super-Seeding) and support for Magnet Links.
(3) When downloading, BitComet gives you the option to prioritize the first and last portions of media files so that files may be previewed before they are completely downloaded.
(4) It also has a “Preview Download Mode” in which all pieces of the torrent will be, basically, downloaded sequentially thus allowing the user to play a media file while downloading (provided that the downloading speed and piece availability stay ahead of playing bitrate).
(5) BitComet also allows users to share their .torrent files, on a searchable P2P network, with other BitComet users through the torrent sharing feature, named “Torrent Share” in previous versions and renamed to “Torrent Exchange” since v.1.17.
(6) BitComet uses the Kademlia (mainline) DHT to operate even when thetracker is offline. BitComet is capable of downloading files over HTTP and FTP as well as bittorrent, and it includes download plugins for Firefox,Cometbird, Internet Explorer, and Maxthon.
(7) An optional plugin is available to connect to the eD2K network. The plugin is a modified version of the GPL eMule program. When installed, it connects automatically to a server.
(8) The software includes an application to play Flash Video files (.flv and .swf files).